Domestic Violence - Gjesdahl Law, P.C.

Domestic Violence

North Dakota and Minnesota have very similar domestic abuse laws. If you have suffered recent assaults or threats of assault, you may obtain a temporary protection order immediately.

In Minnesota, the court will help you with the paperwork. In North Dakota, you usually need the help of an attorney or crisis center worker.

Having the assistance of an experienced family law attorney should improve your chances in obtaining a protection order; the paperwork as well as the oral presentation will generally be more persuasive and well prepared.

In both states, the sheriff's department will serve the protection order and secure your home the same day. Within fourteen days, your spouse may appear in court to dispute the need to make the protection order permanent. As part of this process, the court can grant custody of children to one party and impose a support obligation on the other party. You do not need to start a divorce to obtain a protection order.

The information on this site is general in nature. Do not rely on any articles, postings or other information on these pages as legal advice. If you need legal advice about a particular matter, you should contact an attorney directly.

Print Page
© 2017 Gjesdahl Law, P.C. - All rights reserved