Parenting Time - Gjesdahl Law, P.C.

Parenting Time

"Parenting time" refers to the rights of a parent who does not have primary residential responsibility of their children to visit them at specified times. The court is generally required to grant the other parent parenting time rights to enable that parent to maintain a child to parent relationship that is in the child's best interests.

Courts are reluctant to deny or restrict parenting time of the other parent. A denial or restriction of parenting time rights must be based on persuasive evidence that parenting time will not serve the best interests of the child. If the court finds that sufficient danger exists to limit parenting time, it has a number of options available to it. It may restrict parenting time as to the time, place, duration, or supervision or it may deny parenting time entirely.

Establishing a "reasonable" parenting schedule should be the priority of both parents. It is essential that both parents cooperate and remain flexible for the sake of their children. If the parties are unable to reach an agreement, the court will intervene and the other parent is likely to receive a boilerplate schedule similar to the following:

  • Alternating weekends from Friday evening to Sunday evening.
  • One evening visit per week (generally not an overnight visit).
  • Alternating holiday schedule consisting of New Year's Day, Easter Weekend, Memorial Day Weekend, Independence Day Weekend, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
  • Extended Summer Visitation ranging anywhere from one week to six weeks.

Court systems today prefer visitation orders to contain specific and detailed schedules compared to "reasonable" or "liberal" visitation where the parents are left to determine the parenting schedule. A fixed visitation schedule helps avoid future and unforeseen complications.

Like residential responsibility, parenting time is modifiable by agreement between the parties or court order. Parenting time may be modified at any time in which a drastic change in conduct or circumstances involving the parents can be demonstrated.

The information on this site is general in nature. Do not rely on any articles, postings or other information on these pages as legal advice. If you need legal advice about a particular matter, you should contact an attorney directly.

Print Page
© 2017 Gjesdahl Law, P.C. - All rights reserved